Robinson+Cole is a law firm serving regional, national and global clients from nine offices throughout the Northeast. Based in Hartford, Connecticut, Robinson+Cole’s RLUIPA Group represents developers; local governments; landowners; and advocacy groups in land development and conservation matters throughout the United States, with the assistance of local counsel when necessary. The group is an alliance of lawyers, professional planners and environmental analysts who combine their decades of experience in land use, real estate development, and property rights law with trial and appellate court experience. The group is frequently involved in RLUIPA litigation, including the following:
- Congregation Rabbinical College of Tartikov, Inc. v. Village of Pomona, New York, U.S. District Dist. Court, Southern District of New York. Defending the Village of Pomona, New York against RLUIPA claims brought by a religious organization which is attempting to by-pass the required land use application procedure and process.
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Rockville Centre v. Incorporated Village of Old Westbury, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York. Defending the Village of Old Westbury against a religious institution’s RLUIPA and related claims in connection with the Village’s conditioned approval allowing the religious institution to construct and operate a cemetery.
- St. Vincent de Paul Place, Norwich, Inc. v. City of Norwich, U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut. Filed RLUIPA litigation and administrative appeals in connection with City’s denial of soup kitchen’s applications to operate out of a former religious school adjacent to the church building.
- Rocky Mountain Christian Church v. Board of County Commissioners, Boulder County, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit. Represented Boulder County, Colorado in defending RLUIPA and related claims brought by church looking to expand on rural site.
- San Jose Christian College v. City of Morgan Hill, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. Represented American Planning Association as amicus curiae to support City of Morgan Hill’s defense of RLUIPA lawsuit brought by religious institution seeking to establish religious college.
- City of San Leandro v. International Church of the Foursquare Gospel, United States Supreme Court. Represented California Chapter of American Planning Association as amicus curiae in supporting City of San Leandro, California’s petition for a writ of certiorari before United States Supreme Court.
- Promise Land Church of God v. City of West Haven, Connecticut Superior Court, Judicial District of New Haven. Represented religious institution after denial of site plan and special permit approvals for relocation/expansion. Filed administrative appeals and RLUIPA claims, and negotiated favorable settlement with the City for issuance of permits and approvals.
Robinson+Cole is consistently ranked as one of the top litigation firms by the Chambers USA guides, US News & World Report’s Best Law Firms Survey, and Benchmark Litigation.